Category Archives: CUCUMBERS
- 3 to 6 med. cucumbers, peeled & seeded (if prefer) and cut into quarter-round slices
- 1 bunch purslane, large stems removed, washed and drained well
- 2 T each, fresh chopped mint, cilantro and chervil
- 4 c whole milk yogurt
- 1/4 c organic olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced or pureed
- 2 t ground coriander
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Place the cucumbers, purslane and herbs into a large bowl.
- In another bowl, stir together the yogurt, olive oil, garlic, and coriander and season to taste with sea salt.
- Add the yogurt mixture to the cucumbers & purslane and mix well.
- Add a pinch of ground black pepper.
- Taste the dressed cucumber-purslane salad for seasoning, adding a little more salt if needed. Serve chilled.
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, lightly crushed with the side of a knife blade
- 3 pounds fresh beets, peeled and quartered
- 2 English cucumbers, peeled and diced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups orange juice
- 1 fresh lime, juiced
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped dill pickle
- Heat grape seed oil over medium heat in a large pot and add onion and garlic, sauteing them until they are translucent.
- Add beets and cucumber, and cover with 6 cups water.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil and cook until tender, about 45 minutes.
- Remove from heat and bring to room temperature.
- Add orange juice and blend with an immersion blender, or in batches in a conventional blender. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Stir in lime juice and chill.
- Spoon into serving bowls, garnish with a dollop of sour cream and sprinkle with dill pickle.