Category Archives: PEPPERS
- 2-1/2 c uncooked parboiled rice
- Very hot water
- 1/4 c vegetable or chicken stock base
- 4 T unsalted butter or 3 T coconut oil
- 1/2 C diced green bell peppers or substitute
- 1/4 c chopped cilantro leaves
- Place rice in a 6-inch-deep (3- or 4-quart) pan.
- Cover with very hot tap water and stir vigorously “to clean and soften rice.”
- Drain rice in a colander.
- Repeat twice with fresh hot water to clean and soften rice adequately.
- In mixing bowl, add 1 quart very hot tap water to vegetable or chicken stock.
- Mix well with a wire whisk.
- Add dissolved vegetable or chicken stock mixture to soaked rice; stir well.
- Place rice, uncovered, in 350-degree oven 15 minutes.
- Melt butter or coconut oil in a microwave-safe container.
- Remove rice from oven and add butter or coconut oil to rice; mix thoroughly.
- Cover rice and return to 350-degree oven 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine bell peppers in mixing bowl and cover with very hot tap water. Set aside to soften. (or may saute peppers)
- Remove rice from oven. Drain water.
- Rinse softened or sauted peppers thoroughly with hot water.
- Add peppers to rice; mix thoroughly.
- Add cilantro and hold at serving temperature.
- 1 c rice
- 1 medium eggplant
- 1/4 c olive oil
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 sm onion, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- 1/2 t fresh basil or marjoram
- 2 T coconut oil or butter
- Cook rice according to package directions.
- Cut eggplant in half lengthwise, and scoop out the center from each half, leaving a 1/2″ shell.
- Dice the eggplant meat.
- Place eggplant shells cut side down in a large skillet with about 1/2″ boiling, salted water.
- Cover and steam 3 minutes. Drain and reserve.
- Heat oil and cook diced eggplant, tomatoes, green pepper, onion and garlic until tender.
- Add cooked rice and seasonings, and stir to combine. Stuff mixture into the eggplant shells and dot with butter.
- Bake in a preheated, 350’F oven about 35 minutes or until eggplant shells are tender.
- Makes two main dish servings.