Category Archives: SALAD GREENS
Jobie Townhshend-Zellner made some beautiful salads with her Seabreeze ingredients this week:
When you sign up for deliveries in March, we’ll add 1 dozen farm fresh eggs to your first delivery!
- 3/4 c chopped mostly white part of baby leeks, washed well
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 3 T half and half or heavy cream
- 1 small russet potato, peeled, grated coarse and reserved in water to cover
- 2 c low salt chicken broth
- 1 bunch arugula, washed well and spun dry
- 1 slice homemade type white bread, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 small plum tomato, seeded and diced, for garnish
- In a small heavy saucepan cook the leek with salt and pepper to taste in 1 tablespoon of the oil over moderate heat, stirring, until it is softened.
- Then add the garlic, the potato, drained and the broth and simmer the mixture, covered, for 8 to 10 minutes, or until the potato is very soft.
- Stir in the arugula, simmer the mixture, covered, for 1 minute and in a blender puree it in batches for 2 minutes, or until it is completely smooth.
- Transfer the puree to a metal bowl set in a larger bowl of ice and cold water, stir in the half and half and chill the soup, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes, or until it is cold.
- While the soup is chilling, in small heavy skillet cook the bread cubes in the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil over moderate heat, stirring, until they are browned, transfer the croutons to paper towels and season them with salt.
- Divide the soup between 2 or 3 bowls and top it with the croutons and the tomato.
- 3 to 6 med. cucumbers, peeled & seeded (if prefer) and cut into quarter-round slices
- 1 bunch purslane, large stems removed, washed and drained well
- 2 T each, fresh chopped mint, cilantro and chervil
- 4 c whole milk yogurt
- 1/4 c organic olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced or pureed
- 2 t ground coriander
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Place the cucumbers, purslane and herbs into a large bowl.
- In another bowl, stir together the yogurt, olive oil, garlic, and coriander and season to taste with sea salt.
- Add the yogurt mixture to the cucumbers & purslane and mix well.
- Add a pinch of ground black pepper.
- Taste the dressed cucumber-purslane salad for seasoning, adding a little more salt if needed. Serve chilled.
- 2 Ruby Red grapefruit
- 1 head radicchio, cored and coarsely chopped
- 2 T olive oil
- 2 T lime juice
- 1 firm-ripe avocado, peeled and sliced
- 1/3 cup chopped smoked almonds
- 1/4 cup sliced green onion
- Sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- Section grapefruit; set fruit aside and squeeze membrane to release any juice into large bowl.
- Whisk in oil and lime juice, add radicchio and toss.
- Divide evenly among flour plates and top with grapefruit sections, avocado, almonds, and green onion; season to
- taste with sea salt and pepper. Serve immediately.