Category Archives: SQUASH & ZUCCHINI
- 1 bunch spinach or cooking green (rapini et al)
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 1 c Ricotta cheese (or cottage cheese)
- 2 eggs
- Italian seasoning to taste
- 3/4 c Mozzarella cheese, shredded or pulled apart
- 16 oz tomato sauce or fresh sliced tomatoes
- Wash cooking greens well and set aside. Cut squash in half lengthwise (I’ve been known to use an axe) and cut out seeds.
- To cook, you may use the oven (375 degrees, cut side down into pan with water and bake until tender) or a Dutch oven with about 2″ of water, cover and simmer for about 20 to 25 minutes.
- DO NOT OVER COOK SPAGHETTI SQUASH. YOU’LL LOSE THE ‘SPAGHETTI’ TEXTURE.
- When tender, place under cold water or ice it down to stop the cooking process.
- Remove strands with fork when cool to extract strands and place into a cooking pan.
- Combine chopped cooking green, ricotta cheese, beaten eggs and Italian seasoning. Beat until well blended; spread over squash, top with tomato sauce and sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
- Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- 2 medium onions, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 6 c (about 3 lbs.) zucchini, sliced
- 1 c carrots, thinly sliced
- 4 tsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. salt
- 5 c water
- 4 tbs. vegetable broth
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 16-oz tofu, preferably silken tofu
- In a large soup pot, saute the onions, carrots and zucchini in the oil together with the salt, for about 5 minutes over medium heat.
- Add the water (and wine, if desired), broth, pepper and tofu and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Blend the ingredients until smooth, return to the heat and cook for a few more minutes.
- 3 c all-purpose flour
- 2 c organic sugar
- 1 T ground cinnamon
- 1 T Brittany sea salt
- 1 t baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 eggs
- 1 c coconut oil
- 1 t vanilla
- 1 to 2 c shredded zucchini
- 1 c shredded carrot
- 1/2 cup chopped walnut
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, cinnamon, salt, baking soda and baking powder.
- In a small bowl, whisk eggs, oil and vanilla.
- Add to dry ingredients; mix well.
- Stir in zucchini, carrots and nuts.
- Pour batter into two well-greased 9×5-inch loaf pans.
- Bake 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes or until golden brown.